Snow at Moonan Flat Cottage in early June.
Travelers are being advised to exercise extreme caution if you're headed to the Barrington Tops this weekend.
There's forecast to be strong winds and possible snow or sleet across the Barrington Tops - there's a chance above 1400 metres today and above 800 metres over the weekend.
Hunter Valley Police District Inspector Guy Guiana said that while Barrington Tops Forest Road (Gloucester to Scone) is currently open, visitors are advised to exercise extreme care when driving in these conditions.
“The predicted weather conditions will make roads extremely slippery,” Inspector Guiana said.
“With strong winds, there is also potential for trees and branches to fall, posing a direct risk to visitors, and possibly blocking access in and out of the area."
“Conditions will be monitored, and road closures may be put in place to ensure the safety of all users if required."
“It is vital that visitors planning a trip to the Barrington Tops are prepared for changing weather conditions."
“Let someone know your plans before travelling, understand that mobile phone coverage is very limited in this remote area, and that conditions on the sub-alpine plateau can change rapidly,” he said.
The top tips from local police if you are headed to the snow this weekend wherever that may be: #staysnowsafe
- Leave the two-wheel-drive at home - four-wheel-drives are best suited for driving in snow and ice conditions
- Check weather and road conditions before you leave home and again before you leave Scone or Gloucester
- Leave plenty of time for the return trip in daylight hours: travel time is up to 1.5 hours from Gloucester or Scone
- Pack additional warm clothing and extra food and water
- Tell someone where you’re going and when you’ll be back.
The latest available information on road conditions and closures check with:
- Gloucester Visitor Information Centre on 02 6538 5252
- Scone Visitor Information Centre on 02 6540 1300
- Barrington Tops Snow Chaser Facebook page
- Barrington Tops Tourism Facebook page
Image credit: Moonan Flat Cottage https://www.facebook.com/Moonancottage/