A Livestock and Equipment Warning has been issued for the Hunter River downstream of Aberdeen and the Goulburn River downstream of Merriwa.
The NSW State Emergency Services announced the warning due to heavy rain falling across the Upper Hunter Catchment over the last several days.
"There have been rises in the Goulburn and Hunter Rivers between Merriwa/Aberdeen and Liddell gauge at Jerry's Plain.
"Rising river levels are now occurring on the Goulburn, Dartbrook, Isis, Pages, Rouchel and Kingdon Ponds.
"River flow is expected to cause rises 3.0 – 4.0 metres above normal flows at Muswellbrook and Sandy Hollow from Wednesday evening," the SES said.
Additional rain is forecast and local roads may close, do not drive through flooded roads.
Land owners and farmers adjacent to rivers and creeks should monitor river levels and the weather.
People in areas likely to be impacted by flooding should consider:
- Refraining from driving or walking through flood water
- Road closures and flood isolation may impact on work, family and educational commitments
- Monitoring emergency warnings and severe weather updates on local radio, NSW SES Hunter Facebook Page and Bureau of Meteorology website
- If your property is at risk of inundation, please raise moveable items, such as furniture, as high as possible onto benches or tables, placing electrical items on top
- If you are advised by an emergency services officer to evacuate, please do so
- Securing outside belongings and before leaving; turn off the power, water and take essential medicines and clothes with you
- Farmers should move machinery, livestock, pumps and fodder to flood free ground
For emergency help in floods and storms, call the NSW State Emergency Service on 132 500. In life threatening situations call triple zero (000) immediately.
For more information:
- Listen to your local radio station, follow the NSWSES on Facebook or www.ses.nsw.gov.au
- Latest Weather, Warnings, Rainfall and River heights: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/
- Road Closures: www.livetraffic.com.au or www.myroadinfo.com.au
- Rural animal and livestock assistance, contact Local Land Services
There will be no more Equipment and Livestock bulletins issued.
Image: James Constable