PMS Show WINGS GC Left

PMS Show WINGS Harry RIGHT

Local News

Trial for man accused of murder in the Upper Hunter delayed

CARLY_MCBRIDE.jpg

The trial of a man accused of murdering an Upper Hunter woman has been delayed. 

Sayle Kenneth Newson's trial in the Supreme Court in Newcastle started last week for the murder of mother-of-two Carly McBride. 

The 31-year-old mum went missing in Muswellbrook in 2014, and her body was fund at Owens Gap near Scone by bushwalkers in 2016.

43-year-old Newson was her boyfriend at the time of her disappearance and is on trial for her murder. 

The Crown Prosecutor has told the jury that Newson drove Carly McBride to Muswellbrook on the day she disappeared so she could visit her young daughter and the case is that after the visit "Newson intercepted Ms McBride and killed her with blunt-force trauma to her head before dumping her body in bushland".

The jury was also told the case against Mr Newson was a circumstantial one, and gestured towards a table stacked with dozens of folders of evidence.

The jury did travel to the Upper Hunter at the end of last week to view several locations significant to the trial.

The murder trial is expected to last for two months, but has been delayed after Newson's barrister became sick over the Easter weekend. 

It's understood he will make a full recovery but can no longer be on the case. 

The trial has been adjourned until Friday.